Written by Andy Trainer – Thu 12 Jul 2007
PRINCE2® PROCESSES – Starting Up a Project (SU)
The purpose of the Starting up a Project process is to ensure that the prerequisites for Initiating a Project are in place by answering the question: do we have a viable and worthwhile project?
This process is triggered by a mandate and is designed to establish the following:
- There is a business justification for initiating the project (documented in an outline Business Case)
- All the necessary authorities exist for initiating the project
- Sufficient information is available to define and confirm the scope of the project (in the form of a Project Brief)
- The various ways the project can be delivered are evaluated and a project approach selected
- Individuals are appointed who will undertake the work required in project initiation and/or will take significant project management roles in the project
- The work required for project initiation is planned (documented in a Stage Plan)
- Time is not wasted initiating a project based on unsound assumptions regarding the project’s scope, time scales, acceptance criteria and constraints.
Products produced during this process are as follows:
- Role descriptions
- Daily Log
- Lessons Log
- Outline Business Case
- Project Product Description
- Project Approach
- Project Brief
- Stage Plan
The PRINCE2 processes are covered in detail on our PRINCE2 Foundation training and PRINCE2 Practitioner training courses in Brighton, Sussex.