Written by Andy Trainer – Thu 12 Jul 2007
PRINCE2® PROCESSES – Closing a Project (CP)
See our courses for PRINCE2.
The purpose of the Closing a Project process is to provide a fixed point at which acceptance for the project product is confirmed, and to recognize that objectives set out in the original Project Initiation Documentation have been achieved (or approved changes to the objectives have been achieved), or that the project has nothing more to contribute.
The objective of the Closing a Project process is to:
- Verify user acceptance of the project’s products
- Ensure that the host site is able to support the products when the project is disbanded
- Review the performance of the project against its baselines
- Assess any benefits that have already been realized, update the forecast of the remaining benefits, and plan for a review of those unrealized benefits
- Ensure that provision has been made to address all open issues and risks, with follow-on action recommendations.
The main products of this process are as follows:
- Project Plan updated with final actual
- Product Status Account covering the status of all products for the project
- Issue register to identify any outstanding issues
- Follow-on action recommendations created with any outstanding issues to be addressed
- Configuration item records updated with current status of products
- Benefits review plan updated with dates for benefits realization
- Acceptance records for products completed
- End project report created
- Lessons Report created
- Close Issue, Risk, Quality registers, Daily and Lessons Log